Please follow these steps carefully prior to your surgery to help ensure your procedure goes as smoothly as possible.
Contact your surgeon or physician prior to your surgery date if:
- You are not sure what time to arrive at the center on the day of your procedure.
- You experience any changes in your health between your most recent visit to your physician and the day of your procedure, even minor ones like a temperature, cough or a cold.
- You suspect that you are pregnant. Anesthesia and medication may be harmful to the developing fetus.
- You have a latex allergy, diabetes, heart conditions, kidney or liver failure.
- You take medications on a regular basis. Your physician/surgeon may have guidance about which medications you should or should not take on the day of your procedure.
After midnight the day of your surgery
- Do not smoke after midnight the day of your surgery.
- Do not eat anything (including gum, mints, hard candy), after midnight the day of your surgery. Undigested food in the stomach can cause complications and your surgery is likely to be postponed.
Morning of surgery
- Take a bath or shower and brush your teeth.
- Remove all makeup, jewelry, and contacts. If you must wear contacts, please bring your storage case for use during surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that can accommodate a bandage, cast, or other type of dressing where the procedure is being performed.
What to bring with you on the day of your surgery
- Bring all insurance cards. It is important for us to have all the current and correct information.
- Bring a government issued photo ID such as a driver’s license.
- Bring your form of payment, if required.
- If you take insulin, bring the bottle of insulin and syringes with you.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you to the center, receive discharge instructions, and drive you home. It is recommended that someone stay with you for the first 24 hours following surgery.
- Limit the number of people who accompany you to the center.
What not to bring to the surgery center
- Leave all jewelry, cash and valuables at home. We cannot be responsible for their safety.